Pathways Therapy provides treatment to clients at our clinic in Waterloo, within their homes, in hospital, or at other community settings. The following therapy services are available:
We treat many of the respiratory conditions that cause problems with secretion retention or shortness of breath including:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Cystic Fibrosis
We provide both clinic based and in home physiotherapy treatment aimed at providing the client with techniques and strategies to manage their respiratory condition independently. The following treatment may be provided:
- Training in techniques for secretion clearance, which they may follow through with independently. This may include positive expiratory pressure techniques, autogenic drainage, the Flutter device, percussion and vibration or other techniques.
- Teaching of breathing control techniques such as diaphramatic and pursed lip breathing.
- Thoracic mobility exercises
- Development of fitness programs
- Manual chest physiotherapy techniques may also be indicated, particularly if the client is experiencing an exacerbation.
Occupational Therapy Services:
Occupational therapy is available for education regarding energy conservation and pacing during activities of daily living or vocational tasks.