Have you had a concussion? Pathways Therapy can help!
A concussion is a type of traumatic brain injury that alters the way the brain functions. It can occur as the result of extreme acceleration or deceleration of the brain within the skull. Contrary to popular belief, a concussion can occur without a hit to the head.
A concussion can cause a wide range of different signs and symptoms including headaches, dizziness, nausea, light and noise sensitivity. Balance, coordination, vision, memory, attention, and mood may also be affected. Fatigue and low energy is common in clients who suffer a concussion, they may feel “off” or “in a fog” or slowed down. In most cases the symptoms of a concussion are temporary, however, for some clients impairments may be prolonged.
A physiotherapy assessment following a concussion can be helpful to assess the clients impairments including full review of symptoms, vision screening, balance and coordination testing.
Physiotherapy treatment for clients with a concussion will be based on the client’s assessment findings. Treatment typically includes:
- Guidance on the importance of physical and cognitive rest and on appropriate graduated return to activity (daily tasks, work, school and sports).
- Development of an appropriate exercise program which can include visual exercises, balance and coordination exercises.
- Exploration of other strategies to improve function.
Occupational therapy treatment is also available which may include:
- Screening assessments for visual and cognitive impairments.
- Education on pacing and energy conservation and guidance on return to activity.
- Trial of strategies and assistive devices to help improve functioning at work, home and school.
Please contact us today to receive more information regarding Concussion Management or call and book an appointment today!